Sunday, June 8, 2008

Like Hearing a Whisper and a Rustling....



In the space between the curtains and the blind a dark greenness gushed forth; thin bands of the white froth of morning seeped in between the slats. This might have been my last waking impression or a suspended dream vision. Then I was awakened by something drawing near; sounds were coming closer. Once, twice I sensed it in my sleep. Then they sat perched on the roof of the building next door and leaped into the air like dolphins. I could just as well have said, like balls of fire at a fireworks display, for the impression of fireworks lingered; in falling, they exploded softly against the windowpanes and sank to the earth like great silver stars […] It is very difficult to describe, but when I think back, it is as though something had turned me inside out; I was no longer a solid, but rather a something sunken in upon itself. And the air was not empty, but of a consistency unknown to the daylight senses, a blackness I could see through, a blackness I could feel through, and of which I too was made. Time pulsed in quick little fever spasms. Why should something not happen now that normally never happens? – It’s a nightingale singing outside! – I said half aloud to myself…

But it’s a bit like hearing a whisper and a rustling outside, without being able to distinguish between the two!


...

~ Text: Robert Musil, "The Blackbird" in
Posthumous Papers of a Living Author, Archipelago


~ Images by William Henry Fox Talbot